Relax, do not cram. I repeat do not cram.

Courtesy of flickr.com

STRESSING: The SAT and ACT are two of the biggest tests most high school students take. Here are some tips to help maximize your score.

It’s that time of the year again: ACT and SAT test dates are rapidly approaching and most students are cramming their brains out.With recent statistics showing an overall less than half pass rate, students are starting to stress. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Here are some last-minute tips and strategies to help maximize your score.

• Know which test is best for you

The SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) and the ACT (American College Testing) are not the same test and studying for both can be a real hassle. The two are strategically different, so it’s better to find the one that best suits you.

• Don’t procrastinate

Don’t wait until the last few months of your senior year to take these tests. Procrastination will only lead to fewer chances of bettering your score.

• Study your butts off or else you’ll be completely stuck on the test

Take the practice test on the College Board website. Use the test practice booklets. Use your teachers and use your friends. Do whatever you can. Just make sure you’re getting the information you need to pass.

• Reading is your new best friend

“The thing I’ve been telling my students for years, the one factor that most highly correlated with doing well on the SAT, is not GPA, it’s not taking an SAT prep course, it’s not even how much your parents make,” said Mr. Friedel, the English teacher who was three points away from a perfect score on the reading portion of the SAT. “The factor that’s most highly correlated with the SAT is reading for fun in your spare time. So the best advice I give people is to get a library card and a hammock.”

• Be careful about bringing in exterior knowledge

For the reading portion of the SAT, only use the information they give you in the passage. They often like to trick people by giving them familiar topics in the passages. IT’S A TRAP, DO NOT FALL FOR IT. If you know the answer, but it’s not in the passage, don’t write it down. Only answer with the information they give you.

• Learn the strategies

In almost all ACT test booklets there’s a section where they give you the correct answers and then explain why. It’s in your best interest to read why it’s correct too. Don’t have to stop there either, do some research, ask people.

• The shorter answers are usually better

The ACT loves short and concise answers. If most of the answers are correct, you should probably go with the short one.

• Use the process of elimination

If you’re having a hard time finding the answer, eliminate all the ones that don’t make sense.

• Read the questions first

If you know what you’re looking for, then you’ll probably pay more attention to the keywords/ answers.

• Start with the easy questions

Begin with the easier questions. If you can’t find the answer to a question, skip it then comeback. Don’t waste your time on questions you don’t understand.

• Read the passages that relate to you first

You’ll always be more interested in something you care about than a random topic.         

• Be sure your photo meets requirements

Make sure you read and apply the photo guidelines they give you.

• Double triple quadruple check

Nothing is more embarrassing than going to the testing site and not having the proper things with you. You must continually check to see if you have everything.

• Sleep

Have a good night’s rest before the test. You really don’t want to be tired or asleep during it.

• A few days before the test

Print out your test ticket with your photo on it.

Read the directions on the back of the test ticket, specifically what you can and can’t bring with you.

• The night before the test

Read the directions on the back of the test ticket, again Set at least 2 alarms to wake you up.

Make sure you go to bed early.

• Before you leave home

Wake up early and eat a good breakfast — you can take a nap after the test.

Read the directions on the back of the test ticket again.

Don’t forget your test ticket. Don’t forget you photo identification. Don’t forget pencils, calculator (if allowed), and any other stuff the ticket says to bring.

• When you arrive

Leave your phone in the car. Don’t get your test invalidated for a stupid reason.

• When the test begins

Relax!

ACT Test Date

December 10, 2016

February 11, 2017

April 8, 2017

June 10, 2017

SAT Test Date 

December 3, 2016

January 21, 2017

March 11, 2017

May 6, 2017

June 3, 2017