Forecasting Events
  • 4/17 LPN Application Day
  • 4/20 Prom!
The Student News Site Of Inlet Grove High School

DEVELOPING: In preparation for their upcoming showcase on May 3, Drama Club students, such as Jayla Moore, Ana Sofia Restrepo, and Kaylee Carlow, are practicing a skit created by Ms. Frank.
Photo of the Day 2: Behind the scenes
Ashley Dorantes, Staff Writer
KID TAKE OVER: Coach Fritz brought his 5 year old daughter, Elise Fritz, for Bring Your Child to Work Day and watched as she showed him the new cut she had made while running the 5K with his students.
Photo of the Day: Mini trainer
Keren Joseph, Photo Editor
ENJOYING OUTDOORS: Alexander Bairaktaris, a Senior in the Medical Academy, takes time for himself sitting outside of Building 5.
Photo of the Day: Alone time
Sofia Jervis, Staff Writer
SJW: Freedom of the press
SJW: Freedom of the press
Alaja Depina, Communications Chief
SJW: Freedom of Religion
SJW: Freedom of Religion
JayShawn Talmadge, Staff Writer
Keren Joseph
Keren Joseph
Photo Editor
Moline Charles
Moline Charles
Photo Editor

Truth in action

Alaja Depina
WHAT’S NEW: Criminal Justice teacher, Riviera Beach Police Officer Walter Terrell, started his first year at the Grove.

A new Criminal Justice class is being taught in Building 6 by Officer Walter Terrell of the Riviera Beach Police Department.

Officer Terrell said he and Police Chief Michael Coleman came up with the idea to bring the program to the school, and because “I’m the man,” he became the teacher.

He has been serving with the police force for 11 years, and wanted to recruit at the school next door, Inlet Grove.

“What’s better than having an officer from your own community, patrolling the community,” he said.

Terrell, who works part time as a teacher, said that there are challenges that come with the job.

“The biggest is changing the perception of law enforcement,” he said. “People are still scared of law enforcement and don’t trust us. You know, me breaking that barrier and breaking down the fear of us is the biggest challenge.”

The Criminal Justice class teaches students about life as an officer and the troubles police officers encounter.

“This class has prepared me for real world situations,” said Asia Johnson, a Senior in the Medical Academy. “Like when we went outside and did the red light traffic stop activity.”

“I think the new Criminal Justice program here is taking off like a rocket,” said Career Coordinator Mr. McDermott. “Students seem to be really into Officer Terrell. They seem to be very engaged and very active, a lot of physical movement in the class, which is good to see.”

“I’ll tell everybody to join this class if they could,” said Micareya Jones, a Senior in the TV Production Academy.” It’s a fun class, you can learn a lot of stuff.”

Micareya said they do different scenarios, like crime scenes, making reports, doing traffic stops, learning how to apply police tape and what situations one would need to apply police tape in.

“We play fun games on top of that to interact with each other more,” she said.

Officer Terrell said his favorite thing about teaching is interacting with the youth and changing their perspectives.

“I’ve always had an interest in being in Criminal Justice,” said Shadrack Simeon, a Senior in the Pre-Law Academy, “but I feel like Officer Terrell did have a positive effect on it and I want to do it more now.”

“He’s a good guy,” said Student Services Coordinator Mr. Baker, regarding the new teacher. “He does great things in Riviera Beach and I think it’s a good opportunity for you guys.”

View Comments (4)