The student news site of Inlet Grove Community High School

• Junior Class Election Campaign coming to GroveWatch next week.

• Multimedia Club meets Mondays and Thursdays at 5:15 in Room 203

• Canes vs St. Andrews at 5:00pm on Saturday. Don't miss it!

• No school Thursday Sept. 21, 2017.

• Drama Club meets Tuesdays and Thursdays Room 908 at 5:30 p.m.

Medical Symposium symphony

STUDENTS MEET HEALERS: Roger L. Duncan III (center), immediate past president of the T. Leroy Jefferson Medical Society, poses with the keynote speaker, Florida Surgeon General and Secretary of Health Celeste Philip (to his left), along with other members of the Medical Society, during the Fifth Annual 'Health & Science Stars of Tomorrow Career Symposium' at Inlet Grove.

Hundreds of students from all over Palm Beach County were introduced to different areas of the medical field as Inlet Grove hosted the Fifth Annual “Health & Science Stars of Tomorrow Career Symposium,” sponsored by the T. Leroy Jefferson Medical Society, Saturday, Feb. 25.

“Different kinds of kids from different schools and even some kids that weren’t even in medical were there,” said Tiannah Elder, a junior in the Medical Academy. “Overall it was a great learning opportunity for everyone.”

The  daylong program featured remarks by the keynote speaker, Florida Surgeon General and Secretary of Health Celeste Philip; as well as Roger L. Duncan III, the T. Leroy Jefferson Medical Society immediate past president; and Eric M. Kelly, president of the Quantum Foundation.

In addition to the Medical Society’s healthcare professionals and others who were present, students had the chance to learn from sponsors and exhibitors, while Hurricane volunteers guided student groups around the campus.

Many students said they learned a lot of new things. After one presentation by Nova Southeastern University, students were allowed to dissect sheep brains. When the sheep brains were brought out, students’ mouths fell open. Another activity was a faux surgery: Students were rushed into the “Operating Room” and asked to state what was wrong with patient.

Inlet Grove Medical Academy students also made presentations. For example, Dr. Landron’s Electrocardiogram (EKG) Tech class hosted a session during which they talked to the visiting students about how to perform an EKG.

In addition, Nurse Mackey’s class showed students how to wrap a bandage. It isn’t easy thinking of these activities, she said. “At first they used to vital signs but most of the participants already knew how to do that. So it’s nice to see them switch it up.”

Medical Academy student Ludelyne Jean Louis, who was one of the EKG “instructors,” said she thought the symposium was a good experience. Her favorite part was putting electrodes on the “patients,” she said, adding that she liked teaching the students new things.

Some noticed that throughout the activities the student guests looked fascinated and seemed as if they were having a good time. “It was nice seeing the expressions on the middle-schoolers faces,” Eldor said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Medical Symposium symphony”

1. Pientka on April 11th, 2017 10:10 am

Our students did a fantastic job that day! I am so proud of how well they handle the professional events.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Medical Symposium symphony

News

Photo of the Day: Irma splits

• Medical Symposium symphony

News

Trade disaster

• Medical Symposium symphony

Features

Once in lifetime event eclipses class

• Medical Symposium symphony

Multimedia

GroveWatch TV: First football game

• Medical Symposium symphony

Juniors

Photo of the Day: Juniors and seniors

• Medical Symposium symphony

News

Photo of the Day: Key business

• Medical Symposium symphony

Nursing and Pre-Med

Words to live by

• Medical Symposium symphony

Culinary

Photo of the Day: Fire safety

• Medical Symposium symphony

School News

Canes’ season kickoff

• Medical Symposium symphony

Commercial Arts

Photo of the Day: Multimedia in session

Medical Symposium symphony