Ben Carson Reading Room

History was made on May 5 when the Hurricanes opened the first ever Ben Carson Reading Room on a Florida high school campus.

Special guests present for the debut of the “Hurricane Café” included Mrs. Candy Carson, wife of Dr. Ben Carson, the noted neurosurgeon and current United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, who gave an inspirational speech.

“The Reading Room is an excellent resource for students to develop a love for reading,” said Media Specialist Margaret Bell. “The quiet atmosphere, engaging books and magazines of highest interest provide a perfect place to begin this journey.”

The grand opening featured a program in the auditorium with remarks by Assistant Principal Francisco Lopez, along with junior students Mark Filsaime, Nondiana Emmanuel, Jordan Hall and Denice Leak.

Performances were also done by the Drumline and the Drama Club.

“I feel extremely happy that people are able to contribute enough money to be able to build a reading room for our school,” said Tatyana Moise, a sophomore in the Medical Academy.

After the assembly students went to their seventh-period class while all other attendees made their way to the ribbon cutting were pictures were taken and food/drinks were served by Chef Newman and her Culinary Academy student staff.

The room was opened up the following Monday, allowing students to sit during lunch and enjoy a quality book.

“I love it, I think it’s fantastic, I pray the students take advantage of it because it’s just somewhere to be because it’s not for talking and carrying on,” said Deanna Pientka, assistant principal.

“It’s really just somewhere that if you love reading you can do that, and I happen to love reading, so I think it’s awesome.”