• Congratulations to Mr. Petty, November's Teacher of the Month!

• Boys Soccer vs. Dreyfoos @ 8:00 PM on Wed., Nov. 14

• Lady Canes Soccer vs. Dreyfoos @ 6:00 PM on Wed., Nov. 14

• Lady Canes Basketball @ Hebrew Academy on Thurs., Nov. 15

• First basketball game of the season is Nov 19.

Filed under Features, News, Opinion, Showcase

Be smart, don’t start

STOP FRYING YOUR BRAIN CELLS: Studies have shown that students ranging from 9th grade to the 12th prefer smoking marijuana rather than cigarettes. Both are unhealthy choices.

Courtesy of marijuanatimes.org

Courtesy of marijuanatimes.org

Law enforcement agencies recently searched more than 100 homes in Sacramento, Calif., inΒ what the U.S. Justice Department said was “part of a sweeping crackdown on a criminal marijuana growing operation funded by China-based criminal groups.”

Teen drug usage is at an all-time high.

ItΒ is important to stop this while we can, because students using drugs such as marijuana can eventually head down a path ofΒ  not finishing school orΒ maybe even homelessness.

According to CNN, “More high school seniors now use marijuana on a daily basis than smoke cigarettes. When asked how frequently they had used in the past month, just 4.2 percent of 12th-graders said they smoked cigarettes every day, but 5.9 percent said they used marijuana.”

Richard Miech, research professor of drug use trends at University of Michigan, said he fears “that we may be seeing the start of a long-term increase in marijuana use among youth.”

Little do students know, even marijuana has its consequences. According to drugabuse.org,”When people begin usingΒ marijuanaΒ as teenagers, the drug may impair thinking, memory, and learning functions and affect how the brain builds connections between the areas necessary for these functions.”

This is important because it could be one of the main reasons students fail to even graduate high school.

β€œEvery year, over 1.2 million students drop out of high school in the United States alone,” says Dosomething.gov. “That’s a student every 26 seconds – or 7,000 a day. AboutΒ 25 percent of high school freshmen fail to graduate from high school on time.”

This is important because these are the same numbers that cause about .5 percent of the U.S. population to use emergency shelters or a transitional housing program, according to heritage.org, which adds thatΒ 49.5 percent of minimum-wage earners who are over the age of 24 bear this out: Over half work part-time jobs makingΒ $15,080Β at the current federal minimum wage ofΒ $7.25.

This can be hard because the cost of living has definitely gone up, especially when you live in states like Florida where according to Smartassest.com, “Today, if you want to buy a home in Florida, the average sales price is $200,000 according to realtor.com. But home prices vary greatly by county. According to Zillow.com, the median sales price in Monroe County is $409,000, while the median sales price in Hardee County is just $50,000.”

So can you see how one thing can lead to a downward spiral of your future? The consequences are clear. Teens, be smart. Don’t start.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Be smart, don’t start”

1. Pientka on April 13th, 2018 9:29 am

We definitely need our students to graduate and that means keeping them away from the negative influences. Great job in getting this issue out in the open.

2. ronaldo on May 9th, 2018 1:33 pm

They are many ways to influence people, I think that this is a great way for them to mature. Great work.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Be smart, don’t start

Featured Photos

Photo of the Day: After the rain..

• Be smart, don’t start

Featured Photos

Photo of the Day: Rest in peace

• Be smart, don’t start

Features

Ten80 trip

• Be smart, don’t start

Featured Photos

Playoffs celebration

• Be smart, don’t start

Careers

Medical luncheon

• Be smart, don’t start

Features

Homecoming Court 2018

• Be smart, don’t start

Features

Photo of the Day: Pretty “proud” Canes

• Be smart, don’t start

Features

Photo of the Day: Mix n’ match gone wrong

• Be smart, don’t start

Features

Spirit Week/Homecoming schedule

• Be smart, don’t start

Features

Photo of the Day: Kickin’ off spirit week

πšƒπ™·π™΄ πš‚πšƒπš„π™³π™΄π™½πšƒ π™½π™΄πš†πš‚ πš‚π™Έπšƒπ™΄ 𝙾𝙡 π™Έπ™½π™»π™΄πšƒ π™Άπšπ™Ύπš…π™΄ π™²π™Ύπ™Όπ™Όπš„π™½π™Έπšƒπšˆ 𝙷𝙸𝙢𝙷 πš‚π™²π™·π™Ύπ™Ύπ™»
Be smart, don’t start