Hurricanes stuff Curley, tackle opener with 14-6 victory

PREPARATION AND HARD WORK: Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Terry Bradden and his staff, whose efforts resulted in an inspiring season-opening win.

Mitz Joseph, Staff Writer

First-year Coach Terry Bradden, his staff and the Inlet Grove Community High School football Hurricanes are basking in congratulations and expressions of Hurricane pride following their season-opening home win Friday against the Archbishop Curley Friars.

The ’Canes allowed an unsettling three-play, opening-series touchdown drive. Then their defense settled down and stopped the Friars’ run attempt for a two-point conversion.

It was a sign of what would come the entire night, as the home team continued to stuff the visitors, holding them scoreless the rest of the game for a 14-6 victory.

Hurricane fans called the performance amazing and inspiring. But the players, while making a point to credit their fans, also said they were earning the dividends of their hard work all summer. Their tough defense swarmed to the ball, delivered big hits, absorbed some too, but never stopped fighting.

Kelly Alcius, an International Baccalaureate student, had promised as much hours earlier during the pre-game pep rally.

“Today’s the day that we change history and take home our first win with the help of our fans,” the junior class member had told the student body that packed the school auditorium.

There were plenty of skeptics, as indicated by the poll on the home page of GroveWatch.com, which on game day had predicted the team would win none of its games. Proving them wrong were Alcius and his teammates such as Charles Stacey, who achieved three tackles and an interception.

What motivated them?

“Seeing my coaches and team happy, and the fans in the stands,” said Stacy, a senior in the Pre-Engineering Academy.

“The fans,” added Donnell Mangum, a sophomore in TV Production.

“The fact that if we lose we could disappoint the fans,” said Terence Graham, a junior also in TV Production.

As for the fans, some longtime Cane watchers said the crowd – at least on the ‘Canes’ side of the field – was the largest in recent memory. In a show of Hurricane spirit and pride, the stadium was full of enthusiastic students, staff, parents and community members, as well as alumni who came out to support and cheer the team.

The crowd was enhanced by the dozens of talented young musicians from Faith’s Place, who got into a pre-game groove and kept up their beat throughout the  game.

Some fans said the stadium’s energy really jumped off  midway through the first quarter when DJ Reggie “D” of X102.3 radio began doing the play-by-play announcing, urging the crowd to celebrate their team.

The team’s performance was a testament to the hard work and dedication of the Athletic Department staff and Coach Bradden, an Inlet Grove alumnus and youngest athletic director in Florida.

The ‘Canes say they’re hoping for even more support next Friday at 7 p.m. when they visit Jupiter Christian High School.

###

Inlet Grove Hurricanes Football Schedule