Canes ground Eagles 32-12

Coach Terry Bradden leading his Inlet Grove Hurricanes to success.

Mitz Joseph, Staff Writer

On a stormy day with Erika lurking in the Atlantic and students doubting whether the contest would even be played, the Inlet Grove Hurricanes rolled past host Jupiter Christian on Jupiter High School’s artificial-turf field.

The game got off to a sluggish start on a muggy night. The first quarter went scoreless with the blue-and-white again exhibiting what is becoming their trademark stout defense. The Hurricanes’ Shaq Hall tackled the Eagles’  quarterback for a loss on the red-and-white opponents’ first drive. The Canes followed with a drive that ended in a pass interception.

The second quarter opened with a Canes fumble recovery that they could not advance.  The teams traded possessions under a full moon still scoreless at halftime.

After the crowd danced the “Cupid Shuffle” in the stands through the halftime break, the Hurricanes opened the second half with a touchdown run. The conversion attempt failed to increase the 6-0 lead.

Then the Canes scored on another TD run that Jupiter Christian answered with one of their own. The Canes defense promptly stuffed the conversion attempt for a 13-6 lead, and followed with an interception.

The Canes’ offense then began to roll in the busy third quarter. Inlet Grove’s Voshon Jackson scored again and again as the Canes began to take control.

At 11:24 in the fourth quarter Voshon ran the ball in yet again. The defense followed with a fumble recovery at the 11:08 mark and a touchdown at 10:28 for a commanding 32-6 lead.

An Eagles 85-yard touchdown run made the final score 32-12, but the Hurricanes’ defense continued swarming to the end. Shaq Hall had another quarterback sack. Others contributing notable Cane defensive plays were Curtis Bunche, Butler Brown III, De’Andre Straker, Albert Golden, Mike Altenor and Ariel Meja.

Even on the road, “Let’s go Hurricanes, let’s go” chants resounded from the fans throughout the game. Reports had “Hurricane” Erika fizzling out. But with Coach Terry Bradden working the field, the locker room and the sidelines like a National Football League veteran, the strengthening Canes’ undefeated season continues.