Hurricanes drop to 2-1

DEVASTATED: “We’re not losing any more this season,” said Albert Golden (left), shown with Butler Brown during the contest against Archbishop McCarthy.

Leeds Antoine, Staff Writer

The Inlet Grove Hurricanes took a loss 54-6 Friday, Sept. 4 against Archbishop Edward McCarthy High School on the Mavericks’ home field west of Fort Lauderdale.

The Canes brought their defense early: McCarthy started the game with a 2-yard gain, a holding penalty, another short gain on third down followed by a punt.

The Canes took over near midfield, but couldn’t do much either.

Then the gates opened under a steady drizzle.

First a 40-yard Mavericks run set up a short run for a 2-yard score, and the conversion kick made it 7-0. McCarthy then scored on a run around the right side, and a Mavericks interception runback made the score 21-0.

Voshon Jackson opened the second quarter with a long run for the Canes’ first score, and though the extra-point attempt was blocked, the home announcer hollered “We have a ballgame.”

The score soon was 34-6 after Mavericks sophomore quarterback Quinn Dempsey’s run around the left side and a failed extra point kick. A fourth-down McCarthy touchdown pass, and failed conversion pass, made the halftime score 40-6.

The score went to 47-6 with McCarthy’s touchdown and conversion kick at 8:01 of the third quarter. The Mavericks closed out the scoring with a last touchdown.