Combining like nerds

THE QUADRATIC FORMULA: A reoccurring technique in Algebra and Algebra 2.

Courtesy of wikipedia.com

Danjel Saint-Fleur, Staff Writer

Algebra 2 teacher Jean-Patrick Michel is planning on starting a math-centered club during the 2021-2022 school year with subjects including Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-calculus, and Calculus. 

“The name will most likely be “IGHS Math Club,” Mr. Michel said.

“Joining the Math Club will be beneficial for the students,” he said. “The weekly practice Math competition will increase their knowledge in different topics in math and assist them with their college applications.”

A student should have an A or B average in their past or current math classes to join the club, he said. In addition, they should be interested in pursuing science and math-related careers. 

“The idea of the club “seems cool,” said Kervins Joseph, a freshman in Pre-Architecture, who added that it would “help other people connect with each other and progress in math.”

“I think that the Math Club is a good way to really challenge the math nerds — I mean math students,” said Lindsey Louis, a freshman in the Medical Academy. “But in all seriousness, it could be a fun club and can be very competitive because the smart kids in this school don’t play.”

Alex Bairaktaris, another 9th grader in Medical, said “I think that starting a math club will be a good idea for people who like math to be able to learn and challenge each other.”

Kaelyn Haines, 9th grader in the Pre-Law Academy, said in an email that she is “ecstatic” about the thought of having a math club. “Generally, many students at Inlet Grove need or want to pursue anything (in their chosen career) that may deal with mathematics. By opening up a Math Club, it will exceedingly skyrocket with numbers (if and so advertised in a pleasing way). Therefore, I, Kaelyn Haines, am astounded about the opening of a math club at this school! Thank you.”

Freshman Pre-Law student Shadrack Simeon said that while he’s not a big fan of math, he “likes the idea of having a club that specializes in math” because it would be “great for the school’s reputation.”

“Not only that, members of the Math Club who stand out can have opportunities in the future that could potentially help them,” said Shadrack. “Members of the club who are interested in pursuing engineering, architecture, and any other job that STEM has to offer will greatly benefit from the club.”

He added, that the Math Club “could also boost people’s overall knowledge of high-order math such as Geometry, Algebra, Calculus, etc. The club itself would be beneficial as the knowledge from the math club could be applied towards EOCs, tests, and real-world problems.”

“Competition often brings out the best in us,” said Daniel Spector, Environmental Science teacher. “This can help our students achieve more in mathematics than they think themselves capable of.”