Canes beginning football journey

Jessica Bureau, Editor

The Hurricanes’ varsity football team drove to Boca Community High School to play West Boca on Thursday, Aug. 26, where they won 49 – 8.

The players said their victory was the result of practicing really hard.

“Our first practice was in the summer, on July 1,” said Mark Dorestin, a freshman in the Pre-Law Academy. “Every practice starts at 3 p.m.”

“This team is really special, we built a bond over the summer,” said Silas Hinson, a senior wide receiver in the Culinary Academy.

“It’s a brotherhood,” Hinson added. “Everyone’s together and we all talk about everything together.”

Coach Smith said that he is changing the system this year.

“We have some really good players, they just have to show their potential.”

“I love these boys,” said Teremun Lott, a senior in the Engineering program. “We built so much team chemistry, and we’re just going to ball out together this season.”

After the game ended, the WPTV news channel interviewed a few of the players and cheerleaders.

“Tell me about yourself. You scored two touchdowns,” said the WPTV News reporter to Lott.

“I saw an opportunity and I took it,” Lott said. “As coach Smith said, we have to focus up, and I did what I had to do.”

“The game was actually a good experience,” said Milca Vincent, a senior in the TV & Film Production Academy. “The team were actually working together like brothers. They had some ups and downs but they pushed through it.”

“We are going to stay the course,” said Coach Smith. “Everyone expects things to happen overnight, when in fact that is not always reality.

“It is a process, a process we are embracing.”