Yearbook chronicles

A+YEAR+IN+REVIEW%3A+Gulliver+Prep+yearbook+advisor+Monica+Rodriguez+critiques+Inlet+Groves+recent+yearbook+for+Editor-in-Chief+Erna+Delice+and+Design+Editor+Jason+Eugene.+

Mr. Hanif

A YEAR IN REVIEW: Gulliver Prep yearbook advisor Monica Rodriguez critiques Inlet Grove’s recent yearbook for Editor-in-Chief Erna Delice and Design Editor Jason Eugene.

Terrell Jones, Managing Editor

Inlet Grove student publications Editor-in-Chief Erna Delice and Design Editor Jason Eugene attended the annual South Florida Yearbook Workshop at Omni Middle School in Boca Raton July 26-27, at the invitation of Walsworth yearbook representative Veronika Levine.

The Canes learned more about the the basics of design and everything it takes to put a yearbook together. They also gained a critique of this year’s “Student Diaries” yearbook, by Gulliver Prep school publications adviser Monica Rodriguez.

The multiple sessions offered each day covered topics such as beginning photography, marketing, headlines, captions, themes, advanced photography, coverage, award winning yearbook and social media.

“I learned the basics of writing basic captions for the yearbook,” Jason said. “I learned putting our mood on the board can help build the theme,” Erna said.

This year’s speakers included 2021 Pacemaker recipient Carly Gates from Alexander Dreyfoos School of the Arts, 2019 Crown winner Ericka Muncy from Jupiter High School, and 2019 Gold Key recipient Sarah Lerner from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

There were food and drinks to enjoy, and Erna won a $25 gift card for the ice breaker, in which she had to match the advisors in attendance with the questions on a paper.

“It was a good learning experience especially for those new to yearbook,” said Erna, “You learn the basics and what to expect and basically to just tell a story about the school year through a book with pictures.”