Forecasting Events
The Student News Site Of Inlet Grove High School

GRADUATES: The class of 2024 went on a yearly graduation trip to Universal Studios.
Gradventure
TO THE FINISH LINE: Juniors and seniors received their yearbook for the 2023-2024 school year in Mrs. Kims office. After receiving them, students looked through past events and let their friends and classmates sign as a way of remembrance   Photographed above  senior Evangeline Mele is seen looking through the newly released yearbook.
Photo of the Day: Past chapters
Lovely Marcelus, Photo Editor
DEVELOPING: In preparation for their upcoming showcase on May 3, Drama Club students, such as Jayla Moore, Ana Sofia Restrepo, and Kaylee Carlow, are practicing a skit created by Ms. Frank.
Photo of the Day 2: Behind the scenes
Ashley Dorantes, Staff Writer
KID TAKE OVER: Coach Fritz brought his 5 year old daughter, Elise Fritz, for Bring Your Child to Work Day and watched as she showed him the new cut she had made while running the 5K with his students.
Photo of the Day: Mini trainer
Keren Joseph, Photo Editor
ENJOYING OUTDOORS: Alexander Bairaktaris, a Senior in the Medical Academy, takes time for himself sitting outside of Building 5.
Photo of the Day: Alone time
Sofia Jervis, Staff Writer
Jeanie Auguste
Jeanie Auguste
Entertainment Editor
Moline Charles
Moline Charles
Photo Editor
Lovely Marcelus
Lovely Marcelus
Photo Editor

SJW: Freedom of Speech

Courtesy of Medium.com

Question 2 of the Week: What Supreme Court case limited freedom of speech involving school? (Hint: It happened in 1969. The answer is at the bottom of the article.)

What is Freedom of Speech? 

To me, freedom of speech is voicing your opinions and ideas, whether it’s in a positive or negative connotation. 

Many people argue about the extent of speech in public, what can or cannot be said, and where it should be said. 

The truth is, the 1st Amendment will not always protect the right to unlimited speech. Words including “bomb”, “shooting”, and other threatening words or phases shouldn’t be causally used in public settings. This is because imparting false information regarding life threatening situations can lead to many problems. You could also be charged with a felony penalty.  

How is freedom of speech Limited in schools? 

Students are allowed to petition, hand out and put up flyers, and wear expressive clothing. However, students can not disrupt or violate other students or schools policies.

An example of this is race-based harassment. Some people may argue that it’s only words and that they can say whatever they want. It is true that people can say whatever they want, but because it is violating school policies, their 1st Amendment right will not be protected and they might be punished. 

The main idea of limiting free speech is to promote public safety. 

Question 2 of the Week: What Supreme Court case limited freedom of speech involving school? 

Answer: Tinker v. Des Moines

View Comments (10)