• Pathfinder Scholarship Awards Ceremony on May 17, 7 p.m.

• Math tutoring Tues.-Thurs. in Room 401/406 from 3:15 p.m. - 5:15 p.m.

• Senior checkout is is May 16, 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. in Auditorium

• Last day for seniors is May 9

• Graduation is May 22! Go Hurricanes!

Foreign language: Spanglish

ETHNICITY%3A+%28from+left%29+Anthony+Lopez+%2C+Deilyn+Mendez-Lopez%2C+and+Gregory+Dozier+are+three+out+of+the+many+Hispanic+students+who+speak+the+Spanglish+language++++++++
ETHNICITY: (from left) Anthony Lopez , Deilyn Mendez-Lopez, and Gregory Dozier are three out of the many Hispanic students who speak the Spanglish language

Ruth Mondesir

Ruth Mondesir

To be a Hispanic and not know how to speak Spanish properly, or how to speak Spanish at all, is considered to be disappointing in some Spanish-speaking countries. The fact that the primary language in this country is English has caused the hybrid Spanglish to be born.

Spanglish is the mixture of Spanish and English. It’s when you use Spanish words and English words in a sentence because you don’t know the proper terminology for the word in the language or you’re used to speaking both languages. An example would be “Querio un jamberger con cheese fries” (I want a hamburger with cheese fries).

One also gets used to saying certain words like cash instead of saying dinero. One might say, “Yo solo tengo cash” (I only have cash), instead of saying “yo solo tengo dinero. 

Words have also been mashed up, such as the word “parquear” which in English is to park a vehicle. The correct word in Spanish would be “estacioner.” 

There are words in Spanish that don’t have an English translation; you’d have to describe it. An example would be the word “estrenando,” which means first time wearing it. It would be used as “para año nuvo voy estar estrenando un nuvo vestido” (I will be wearing a new dress for New Year’s).

There are words in Spanish that are the same but with a different meaning depending on where you’re from, like the word “torta.” In Mexico it’s a kind of sandwich, but in other countries a “torta” is a kind of bread. It’s just like in English when we say chips; we mean thin sliced potatoes that are crunchy, but in England chips are french fries.  

As can been seen, Spanglish has become its own language. It’s not proper English, nor proper Spanish, but a combination of both.

In both languages, words may not have a proper translation, or words may mean something different. 

1 Comment

One Response to “Foreign language: Spanglish”

1. Pientka on March 16th, 2018 8:48 am

I love it! Great job describing the how and why it came to be used!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Foreign language: Spanglish

Featured Photos

Hey, delete that

• Foreign language: Spanglish

Featured Photos

Tests to take

• Foreign language: Spanglish

Culinary

Restaurant layout and design

• Foreign language: Spanglish

Features

Be smart, don’t start

• Foreign language: Spanglish

Features

Fearless is strong: Black women

• Foreign language: Spanglish

Features

Texas Roadhouse production meeting

• Foreign language: Spanglish

Careers

New career shirts

• Features

The cemeteries are full!

• Foreign language: Spanglish

Features

Never again

• Foreign language: Spanglish

Features

Recognition for a scholar

𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝚂𝚃𝚄𝙳𝙴𝙽𝚃 𝙽𝙴𝚆𝚂 𝚂𝙸𝚃𝙴 𝙾𝙵 𝙸𝙽𝙻𝙴𝚃 𝙶𝚁𝙾𝚅𝙴 𝙲𝙾𝙼𝙼𝚄𝙽𝙸𝚃𝚈 𝙷𝙸𝙶𝙷 𝚂𝙲𝙷𝙾𝙾𝙻
Foreign language: Spanglish