• First basketball game of the season is Nov 19.

• Pay Junior dues ($60) & Senior dues ($160) in Rooms 508 & 505

• First Priority meets every Wednesday during lunch in room 120

• Purchase the new career shirts for $15

• Drama Club meets Tues. and Thurs. in Room 908 at 3:30 PM

Filed under Freshmen, Opinion, Showcase

A little word of advice

GUIDANCE: A little heads up about the high school life. It may not be what one may seem.

Courtesy of twitter.com

Seniors, juniors and sophomores, do you remember your freshmen year? Was it what you expected? Is there anything  you wish you had known before starting high school? Here is some advice from my experiences that maybe will help the upcoming class.

First things first, just be yourself. Don’t try to act like someone you’re not, just to impress people and gain friends. It might not end well if your so-called friends find out the truth later on. It’s easier just to be you the first time.  Even though it is hard to make friends in a new place, you will eventually make friends and they will stand with you to the end, trust me.

Have confidence. Confidence is key when you start out fresh at a new school. When I first started I was so nervous because Inlet Grove was a lot bigger than where I went to middle school. I didn’t really know anyone at the time. Then having a different class schedule than I am used to, and having to ride the bus home for the first time, was a little nerve-racking. If I had a chance to re-do my freshmen year, I would like to have a little more confidence in myself.

Be out there. Don’t try to hide from society; you might miss a lot of events. I have come a long way from trying to hide from the pressure of high school life. As you get older and have been in high school for a while, it does get easier. Why not try different things that you might have thought to be impossible. Try joining a club or two that might interest you, or even try out for a sports team.

Aim for success. It is best to get good grades and keep them high. Colleges start looking at grades early. Have a desire to be an A-B student or even all A’s, and have a GPA of 3.0 or higher as well. I do my best for every class I have, so I get straight A’s or a mix of A’s and B’s even if it is not my favorite class. Incredible colleges will want students who perform well in school and care, not ones who get D’s and F’s and don’t care.

I invite other senior, junior and sophomore students to add their thoughts in the comments.

Hopefully, this advice helps.

About the Writer
Dakota Sands, Food Editor

Hey, I’m Dakota, and I am Junior here at Inlet Grove. A few words to describe me are rabbit lover and Disney-fanatic. I have a Labrador retriever named Maverick and I also have a pet rabbit whose his name is, you guessed it Disney! I have a passion for rabbits, since my old school had a garden with chickens and rabbits; I grew to love those rabbits since my first day of middle school. I am in the Culinary career program. When I grow up I would love to be a baker because to me baking is something I love to do and I would like others to enjoy what I create!

1 Comment

One Response to “A little word of advice”

1. Josena Metayer on August 29th, 2018 12:17 pm

I like this because even though I’m a sophomore, I wish I knew this and had set a great record for freshmen year. 🙂

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• A little word of advice

Featured Photos

Photo of the Day: Rest in peace

• Freshmen

Freshmen advice

• A little word of advice

Careers

New student orientation

• A little word of advice

Culinary

What’s Cooking? A.C.T.I.O.N.

• A little word of advice

Freshmen

Photo of the Day: Cover-girl editor

• A little word of advice

Features

Freshmen guide to survival

• A little word of advice

Culinary

What’s Cooking? Cinnamon twists

• A little word of advice

Freshmen

Photo of the Day: Birthday Boys

• A little word of advice

Freshmen

Shanon Steinmetz awarded academic honors from President Obama

• GroveWatch TV

GroveWatch TV: Week 12

𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝚂𝚃𝚄𝙳𝙴𝙽𝚃 𝙽𝙴𝚆𝚂 𝚂𝙸𝚃𝙴 𝙾𝙵 𝙸𝙽𝙻𝙴𝚃 𝙶𝚁𝙾𝚅𝙴 𝙲𝙾𝙼𝙼𝚄𝙽𝙸𝚃𝚈 𝙷𝙸𝙶𝙷 𝚂𝙲𝙷𝙾𝙾𝙻
A little word of advice