The student news site of Inlet Grove Community High School

• Open gym are Monday's and Thursday's for basketball. See Coach Timpson for details.

• Thanks to all the sponsors of the Dr. Ben Carson Reading Room

• Cane-gratulations Robotics Team on the International Robotics Competition

• Cane-gratulations GroveWatch team on High School Journalism Awards

• Cane-gratulations Track Team: Great job at the regionals!

Honoring latest inductees

%27NOBLESSE+OBLIGE%27%3A+The+French+phrase%2C+literally+meaning+%27nobility+obligates%2C%27+is+the+National+Honor+Society+motto.+It+signifies+that+those+of+higher+rank+have+the+obligation+to+behave+honorably%2C+generously+and+responsibly+to+others%2C+as+the+NHS%27+latest+members+were+reminded+during+the+Induction+Ceremony+on+May+11.+
'NOBLESSE OBLIGE': The French phrase, literally meaning 'nobility obligates,' is the National Honor Society motto. It signifies that those of higher rank have the obligation to behave honorably, generously and responsibly to others, as the NHS' latest members were reminded during the Induction Ceremony on May 11.

Georgette Francois

Georgette Francois

The National Honor Society (NHS) welcomed its latest members during an induction ceremony in the Media Center May 11.

“The National Honor Society is known for recognizing students with outstanding grades and admirable character,” said President Joudelyne Altidor.

“To be selected and to be a part of the National Honor Society is an honor and a privilege.”

Student speakers emphasized the importance of the four integral traits of the society: scholarship, service, leadership and character.

Inductees’ names were called during a candle lighting ceremony.

“We always keep (the candlestick) lighted so that we remember that we have to serve,” said Ms. Ma Lourdes Reyes, NHS sponsor. “We have to maintain our good character, continue good leadership, and maintain our scholarship.”

With President Altidor issuing the oath, newly anointed officers received their official status following the new inductees’ pledges.

Ms. Reyes said that when she started as the sponsor for NHS, the requirement was a 3.0 GPA requirement.

“Then, I raised the bar to 3.2, again to 3.3, and this year, it’s 3.5.”

She said she believes that the students “will rise up to the expectations that are given to them.”

Following the closing remarks, all of the 2017 seniors present were called up for awards, including Altidor, the valedictorian, and Jamesha Kendall, the salutatorian.

Altidor said that those in the National Honor Society “are the best and brightest society has to offer.”

She congratulated all the new inductees, and assured them that they’ll have “a great time with us.”