• March is Women's History Month

• Prom is April 14 at the Palm Beach Gardens Marriott

• Prom tickets on sale now, see Ms. Mathias in Room 503

• Midterms begin March 15, make sure to study!

• Adventure Club meets Wed. in Room 701 at 3:15 PM

New year, new boat

Brianna Dwyer and Genisis Vicente
LIQUID EXPERIENCE: Marine Technology students toured the W.T. Hogarth research vessel at the Bahia Mar Marina in Fort Lauderdale on Jan. 29, accompanied by Marine Biology instructor Ms. Rose and Marine Technology teacher Mr. Rice.

All roads led to the Bahia Mar Marina in Fort Lauderdale when Marine Biology instructor Ms. Rose sponsored a trip for Marine Technology students to tour the R/V W.T. Hogarth vessel Jan. 29. Marine Technology teacher Mr. Rice was another chaperone.

The tour commenced with Marine Operations Manager Bob Walker introducing himself and explaining the agenda and purpose for the tour.

He said that the R/V W.T. Hogarth (R/V for research vessel) was a replacement for their former boat R/V Bellows. The 78-foot Hogarth provides countless possibilities for scientists and marine researchers to collect samples from beneath the ocean without much effort, he said.

Walker described the vessel’s Multi-core, a piece of marine equipment used to collect core samples from the ocean. It is attached to a crane, lowered into the water and controlled by scientists. Two of of the equipment’s features stood out to the students. Located on either side were two toy characters. Walker elaborated that the scientists need something to balance the layers of flat steel pillars, so that it would be effective.

The next stop was in a small opening room that held other equipment that allowed the crew to visualize what’s beneath the surface of the water and monitor the readings of the machines.

The tour continued with viewing the eating area and kitchen on the boat later led by Walker and one of the crew members. The students took turns at viewing the engine room and the engine itself.

With only a few places on the boat to be seen the group was then allowed to view the wheelhouse of the boat. The students also had the chance to interact with the captain of the boat. Walker explained the purpose of each of the controls, machines and what it does to help aid in the captain’s work.

The second to last destination was the deck of the boat, where Walker showed where the escape vault was and where the batteries of the boat are kept.

At the end of the tour the students were then escorted to the very top of the research vessel.

“The tour was amazing,” said Rebecca Derryberry, a freshman in the Marine Technology Academy, “and everything it takes to put a research vessel together.”

The purpose “was so that they could see a research vessel,”  Ms. Rose said. “They spend a lot of time looking at engines, not so much about the purpose for those engines.”

1 Comment

One Response to “New year, new boat”

1. Skyy Hinson on March 9th, 2018 10:03 am

Such nice pictures . I’m glad the Marine Academy has these opportunities to go on these field trips and learn about marine wild life and other things.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• New year, new boat

Maritime Tech

Discovering Sandoway

• New year, new boat

Maritime Tech

CTE certified

• New year, new boat

Maritime Tech

Maritime visits marines

• New year, new boat

Marine Technology Fishing trip of 2017

• New year, new boat

Nursing and Pre-Med

It’s getting hot in here

• New year, new boat

Out and About

• New year, new boat

Never again

• New year, new boat

Foreign language: Spanglish

• New year, new boat

Praise for the ‘Black Panther’

• New year, new boat

About Engineering: Lockheed Martin

New year, new boat